Oxygen Reserve Index (ORI™)
The First Noninvasive & Continuous Parameter to Provide Insight into Oxygen Reserve in Patients Receiving Supplemental Oxygen
Limitations of Current Approaches to Assess Oxygenation
- > Pulse oximetry (SpO2) provides noninvasive and continuous visibility to arterial blood oxygenation in hypoxia (less than normal oxygenation) and normoxia (normal oxygenation) but cannot assess hyperoxia (higher than normal oxygenation).
- > During supplemental oxygen administration, clinicians often use the partial pressure of oxygen (PaO2) to monitor levels of hyperoxia but this requires blood gas analysis that is intermittent and delayed.
- > Between invasive sampling, changes in PaO2 cannot be assessed and therefore unexpected hypoxia or unintended hyperoxia can occur.
Oxygen Reserve Index
- > ORI is a noninvasive and continuous parameter intended to provide insight into a patient’s oxygen status in the moderate hyperoxic range (PaO2 >100 and ≤ 200 mm Hg) which we define as a patient’s oxygen “reserve”.
- > ORI is an “index” with a unit-less scale between 0.00 and 1.00
- > ORI can be trended and has optional alarms to notify clinicians of changes in a patient’s oxygen reserve.
- > When utilized in conjunction with SpO2 monitoring (as demonstrated in figure 2), ORI may extend the continuous and noninvasive visibility of a patient’s oxygen status into ranges previously unmonitored in this fashion.
- > ORI is an index that is intended to supplement, not replace, SaO2/SpO2 and PaO2 measurements.
ORI Clinical Application
- > ORI may be of value in patients receiving supplemental oxygen such as those in surgery, conscious sedation, or in the intensive care unit.
- > ORI may provide an advance warning of an impending hypoxic state, or an indication of an unintended hyperoxic state when evaluated in conjunction with PaO2.
- > In this way, ORI may enable proactive interventions to avoid hypoxia and unintended hyperoxia.
When used with a rainbow adhesive sensor, ORI can be displayed on Root® with an ORI-enabled Radical-7® with the latest MX-5 circuit board*
ORI range - 0.00 to 1.00
ORI Accuracy - ≥85% sensitivity and ≥80% specificity to a PaO2 value <150 mm Hg
ORI Alarms - Trending, Low Limit
Masimo rainbow SET® is a noninvasive monitoring platform featuring Masimo SET® Measure-through Motion and Low Perfusion™ pulse oximetry with the option to measure multiple additional blood constituents and physiologic parameters.
- > Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
- > Pulse Rate (PR)
- > Perfusion Index (PI)
- > Total Hemoglobin (SpHb®)
- > Oxygen Content (SpOC™)
- > Pleth Variability Index (PVI®)
- > Methemoglobin (SpMet®)
- > Carboxyhemoglobin (SpCO®)
- > Acoustic Respiration Rate (RRa®)
- > Respiration Rate from the Pleth (RRp™)*
- > Oxygen Reserve Index (ORI™)*
- > Fractional Oxygen Saturation (SpfO2™)*
The Root Patient Monitoring and Connectivity also supports measurement expansion through Masimo Open Connect™ (MOC-9™) ports, including:
The following new features/products are CE Mark and are not currently available for sale in the United States:
- > Respiration Rate from the Pleth (RRp)
- > Oxygen Reserve Index (ORI)
- > Fractional Oxygen Saturation (SpfO2)
- > O3 Regional Oximetry
For professional use. See instructions for use for full prescribing information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions and adverse events.